Location: Derby, Kansas, USA
February 23, 2017 10:06 pm
This little dude came out of our fireplace! I just want to make sure he’s not poisonous.
Firewood is often brought indoors with small critters hidden under bark and in cracks. We believe that is how this Woodlouse Hunter, Dysdera crocata, came to find itself in your fireplace. You can see this BugGuide image for comparison. According to BugGuide: “Bites by the woodlouse spider, Dysdera crocata, are virtually innocuous. The main symptom is minor pain, typically lasting less than 1 hr, probably due mostly to the mechanical puncture of the skin.” This is not an aggressive species and bites would only occur after carelessly handling an individual.