Unidentified Black bug
It is a black bug that was found in Freeport,Texas in a office building. The Bug has 6 legs and two antenna. The strange thing is that it has two glowing green dots behind it’s eyes. Attached are pictures. Thanks in advance

According to BugGuide, Click Beetles in the genus Deilelater are known as Glowing Click Beetles, but we have also seen them called Fire Beetles. In tropical countries, people wear them as living jewelry.

22 Responses to Glowing Click Beetle

1. Bob says:

Saw this bug tonight in Pam Beach Shores, FL.

2. Robert says:

Saw this bug this morning (07/15/14) in North Miami, FL

3. Lisa says:

Well, this is one fashionista who will NOT be wearing ANY bugs for live jewelry. ……..EVER! I don’t care if Ralph Lauren, Anthony McQueen, Christian Dior, Coco Chanel, or the KARDASHIANS say it’s fashion!! Ainta gonna happen!!

4. Jennifer says:

We saw several in the ditch behind our house tonight in League City TX. We held one and let it crawl on us!

5. Debbie Neumann says:

Saw this bug around 8pm on August 31, 2014 in Galveston, TX. It landed on me, crawled around for a minute or so then flew off. Interesting little guy. His eyes went from partially open slits to wide open glowing. Glad to know it was for real.

6. Chris says:

Saw this tonight, NW Miami, crawling on the ceiling of my kitchen. We’ve had serious roach problem this year, and never seen one of these before, kind of freaky. Sprayed it with roach spray and didn’t seem to do anything to it. Had to use a broom to get it off my ceiling. When I stepped on it it was like it didn’t even hurt it, one hell of a hard shell. I’ve seen some really odd and really gigantic bugs traveling through the Middle East and into Asia, but for something this small, the green glow “firefly” eyes was new. Glad to see this isn’t another strange phenomenon we tend to find in Miami.

7. janis says:

Awsome… took a video gllow in dark eyes. Ft lauderdale. fl.

8. Leela Marion says:

Seen one today on my floor. Freaked me out!!!! It was following me…. Placed the rug over it and crunched with my foot. Really loud cracking sound the eyes were no longer glowing. Weirdest bug ive ever sen here in Miami, and weve seen some weird ones!!!!!!

9. Zan says:

I just killed one of these in Belle Glade, Florida…….

10. lin baranyi says:

Saw this tonight in Tampa, Fla..very cool!

11. leela says:

Oh my god their taking over! Seen my second one on the windshield of my car Today. Scoop him up on a paper and placed him on a palm tree. Just stay out of my house! Leela Miami Fl.

12. sal says:

We saw this bug tonight. My friend thought it was a lightning bug but it had two lights. Strangest thing I’ve ever seen. I took a video of it. North Miami

13. Eric says:

Saw this bug tonight in Bradenton, FL. Thought I was going beserk when I saw the glowing “eyes”. Glad to know I’m not the only one.

• donna says:

Exactly… I woke up my sister to look at it when one got into my garage office. Freaky thing with its green neon lights. I’m going to pass on using these Click Beetle for jewelry but I did take a picture of it.

14. Melody says:

Heard a popping noise. Went to investigate and found this in my living room ( Corpus Christi, TX) caught it in a container which is sitting on my desk until my 11 year old wakes up ^^.

15. Kristi says:

Saw the coolest Green Eyed glowing bug tonight in Ovklawaha Florida.

16. Lorena says:

I saw this bug for first time ever tonight,and was amazed! !

17. joann says:

What is wrong with the people out there that see something interesting, nonthreatening, and overall pretty awesome and just can’t help themselves but to kill it? I just saw one of these little guys for the first time in my life last night and I was so captivated by its intense glowing eyes I just wanted to watch its behavior. Maybe the next time you see something different, try to appreciate it instead of destroying it.

The oldest posting in our Unnecessary Carnage tag dates back to 2004, which means that from the very beginning, we found the need to educate the public about senseless killing of insects and other bugs.