Subject: Long earwig-like thing
Location: Somerset, UK
July 30, 2015 12:44 am
Hello! I was wondering if you could help, no one here seems to know and I can’t find this insect in any ‘common British insects’ books.
I’m in England, I was just about to finish the last gulp of my tea when I saw this thing in the bottom of my mug. It was quite a shock, not least because of its size – it was about 1.5 inches long! The closest thing I can find that it looks like is an earwig, with those big pincers on the back but way bigger and with a much more extended abdomen. Sorry the pictures aren’t great.
Do you know what it is?
Signature: Emma

What's In the Tea Cup???

What’s In the Tea Cup???

Dear Emma,
We empathize with your experience, but we still find it terribly amusing.  The reason this looks like an Earwig is because it is an Earwig.  The beadlike antennae and forceps are plainly evident when zooming in for a close-up.



Location: Somerset, UK

One Response to What’s in the Tea Cup???? An Earwig

  1. Robin says:

    I have a tendency to drink a cup of tea at night & then forget to drink it all before going to sleep. So i woke up one morning and toyed with the idea of drinking the remainder cold, but instead i threw it down in the sink. Which is just as well, since a drowned earwig fell out also. Now i NEVER finish my tea from the night before.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.