Subject :  Small mystery moth
Geographic location of the bug:  Norfolk County, Massachusetts
Time: 11:09 AM EDT
Your letter to the bugman:  Hi, I am an amateur hobbyist bug collector and found this tiny moth on my porch in August. I’ve been able to identify most of the bugs in my collection myself, but cannot for the life of me figure out what this one is! It’s very small, less than an inch across. I found a second, similar moth the next day in the same location. Both were dead When I found them, tucked in a plant after a rainstorm, so are a bit ragged.
How you want your letter signed:  Sam S.

Tiger Moth:  Virbia aurantiaca

Dear Sam,
We believe this is an Owlet Moth in the family Noctuidae, but we did not have any luck going through numerous plates on the Moth Photographers Group.  We saw many similar looking Moths, but we could not locate a definitive match.  Perhaps one of our readers will be able to provide an identification.

I was able to identify it through an app and think that it is Virbia aurantiaca, an orange virbia moth. Thanks for the help! Hopefully if anybody else finds one and is stumped, this can help!

Thanks for getting back to us Sam.  If you are correct, and this BugGuide image looks correct, then this moth is down the Tiger Moth branch of the Noctuoid superfamily tree.

Location: Norfolk County, Massachusetts