Subject:  Unidentified caterpillar
Geographic location of the bug:  Sahuarita AZ
Your letter to the bugman:  After searching I cannot identify this caterpillar. Would you be able to tell me what it is?
How you want your letter signed :  Luanne

Owlet Moth Caterpillar:  Basilodes chrysopis

Dear Luanne,
Daniel has a vague memory of seeing this caterpillar before, but maybe that is because it resembles the Hooded Owlet Caterpillars in the genus
Cuculia, which are pictured on BugGuide.  It also resembles but is not a Zebra Caterpillar.  We will continue to attempt an identification and perhaps one of our readers will recognize this distinctive looking Caterpillar.  Are you able to provide us with the name of the plant upon which it was found?

Hello Daniel, Thank you for your email! I’m not able to figure out what the plant is but I’ll attach a photo of it. Thanks again! Luanne

Plant

Update:  September 1, 2021
Thanks to Ben who wrote a comment identifying Basilodes chrysopis. and providing a link to the Moth Photographers Group.  According to BugGuide the moth is called the Guilded Seedcopper.

Location: Sahuarita, Arizona

2 Responses to Arizona Owlet Moth Caterpillar: Basilodes chrysopis