Subject:  Bugs on mint flowers
Geographic location of the bug:  Cheney/Four Lakes WA
Your letter to the bugman:  I get lots of interesting pollinators on my mint plants, but these are ones I’ve never seen before, and wonder if you know what they are? Smaller ones we black/dark brown and yellow, the were some busy couples too. Females were much larger and were lighter colors… One was almost turquoise and beige. Thanks for any light you can shed!
How you want your letter signed:  Jeannie

Ambush Bug

Dear Jeannie,
This is an Ambush Bug, a member of a subfamily of predatory Assassin Bugs.  Ambush Bugs are quite well camouflaged on greenish to yellow flowers including Goldenrod, and they often wait on blossoms for pollinating insects to ambush and prey upon.  We hope you continue to allow them on your mint despite the bees, butterflies, pollinating flies and wasps that they prey upon.

Ambush Bug

Location: Cheney, Washington

One Response to Ambush Bug

1. Jeannie says:

Cool! I’m happy for them to share the space with the rest of the critters. Thank you for telling me what they are!