Subject:  Small black wasp?
Geographic location of the bug:  Charlottesville, VA
Your letter to the bugman:  Hi,
I’ve been finding lots of these insects in our basement — often dead. I’m not sure where they came from or how to keep them outside, but I figure a good first step will be identifying them! Thanks in advance for your help.
How you want your letter signed:  Kyle

Black Soldier Fly

Dear Kyle,
Though it resembles a Wasp, this is actually a harmless (doesn’t sting nor bite) Black Soldier Fly,
Hermetia illucens, also called a Window Fly because of the transparent features of its abdomen clearly visible in your image.  Have you a compost pile in or near your basement?  Black Soldier Fly larvae are frequently found in compost piles where they are considered beneficial.

Thank you so much! As it happens, we have a compost pile right outside, so that’s definitely where they come from. Hopefully most end up staying outside.
Seriously, thank you so much for the quick reply. I know how many of these you get, and appreciate you taking the time.
Kyle

Location: Charlottesville, Virginia