Subject:  A long-shot request…
Geographic location of the bug:  Montreal, QC
Your letter to the bugman:  I unfortunately didn’t have a camera with me when I came across this bug, so this is admittedly quite a terrible ID request – I know you probably can’t proceed without a photo and I fully understand if so! The best I can do is a *very* rough sketch from surely faulty memory (it feels like I’m playing a game of Monsdrawsity with myself, and badly). But it was a distinct/weird enough critter that perhaps even a vague impression will help to identify, or, at least I hope so! Sighting time: mid-July, late evening. It was walking on the sidewalk and then trying to fly/climb into a short plant at the edge of a lawn. Its little wings made quite a ruckus and it seemed to find this task a bit of a challenge. It was at least cicada-size. The way its back was segmented was quite unique. I’ve never seen anything like it, and would really like to know what kind of creature I encountered!
How you want your letter signed:  Curious but ill-prepared nature-lover

Possibly Newly Eclosed Moth

Dear Curious but ill-prepared nature-lover,
Obviously our response is pure speculation, but we suspect you encountered a newly metamorphosed moth that emerged from the pupa and whose wings have not yet expanded and hardened enabling flight.  It might be a Tiger Moth like this Isabella Tiger Moth.

Recently eclosed Isabella Tiger Moth

Or it might be a Giant Silkworm like this Imperial Moth.

Newly Eclosed Imperial Moth

Or it might be a Sphinx Moth like this recently metamorphosed Walnut Sphinx.  All three species we cited can be found in Quebec.

Newly Eclosed Walnut Sphinx