Subject L:  What’s this?
Geographic location of the bug:  Peoria, AZ
Time: 12:54 AM EDT
Your letter to the bugman:  Just wondering what kind of bug this is? Landed on my patio table, lived in Arizona my whole life and never seen one.
How you want your letter signed:  Jenn

Glassy Winged Sharpshooter

Dear Jenn,
This is a Glassy Winged Sharpshooter and here is an image from BugGuide for comparison.  According to BugGuide:
A major vector of Pierce’s disease on grape. Usually not a serious pest within its native range, southeastern US. This species was accidentally introduced into so. California in the early 1990s, probably with ornamental or agricultural stock. There, it has become a serious threat to viticulture.
The biggest problem is that it can spread the disease-causing bacterium Xylella fastidiosa.
The most important biocontrols are egg-parasite wasps in the genus Gonatocerus. Spiders, assassin bugs, and praying mantis prey on the mobile forms.

Location: Peoria, Arizona

One Response to Glassy Winged Sharpshooter in Arizona

1. Janet says:

I have aphids on my Mandevilla plant and there were several Dolichopodidae that I was hoping would be able to get rid of them but aphids have multiplied family and I am going to spray them with deltamethrin. Will this also kill my Dolichopodidae?