Subject:  Large moth
Geographic location of the bug:  Colorado, Monument, close to the mountains
Your letter to the bugman:  Dear Bugman, my friend found this moth resting on his window and I got to take some photos. I searched several archives of known moths in the area and I found similar moths but nothing that was quite right. Can you please identify this moth for me? The date is June 15th and the moth was found around 1pm. It has been very wet the past few weeks which has been followed by high 80 to mid 90 degree weather for the past three or four days.
How you want your letter signed:  BigMothus

Male Polyphemus Moth

Dear BigMothus,
This impressive creature is a male Polyphemus Moth.  When disturbed, it flashes its large eyespots, often frightening a potential predator with the possibility of getting eaten.

That’s amazing! I had heard of them but I had no idea I was in the presence of such a distinguished creature. Thank you for responding so quickly, not knowing was eating at me!
Location: Colorado