Subject:  bug with armor plate shield and pincers
Geographic location of the bug:  Sedona Arizona
Your letter to the bugman:  Spotted this bug on window trim behind a planter and thought it was a grasshopper, but at closer look saw this cool looking bug with what looks like an armor shield plate and silvery looking design across its head. Never seen anything like it. But what IS it?
How you want your letter signed:  Lea

Female Dobsonfly

Dear Lea,
This is a female Dobsonfly, and because of your location, we believe it is 
Corydalus texanus which is pictured on BugGuide.

Thank you for your response.
Yes that’s it.
It’s been hanging out in th at same spot on the window trim outside my front door for about a week.Hasn’t moved. Maybe getting bugs when they come toward the night light. Humm.
Don’t know what it’s eating but it’s hanging on. It’s a shaded spot even when the sun’s out and sometimes it/she turns her head when I check on her. Can’t figure out what she’s waiting for but must feel safe as the spot is behind a hanging planter away from predictors.
So I guess I’ll name her Scooby Doo.

We are pretty certain Dobsonflies do not feed as adults.  Perhaps she is conserving her energy until she mates.

Location: Sedona, Arizona