Subject:  1cm insect with 4 wings (9/15/19,6pm)
Geographic location of the bug:  Riverside, California
Your letter to the bugman:  Found this bug sitting on my indoor bamboo plant,it would scurry outta my sight like a squirrel on a tree. It looks like it has 2 eyes on either side but the underside that is yellow resembles the texture a flys eye.
How you want your letter signed:  V

Glassy Winged Sharpshooter

Dear V,
This is a Glassy Winged Sharpshooter,
Homalodisca vitripennis, and according to BugGuide:  “A major vector of Pierce’s disease on grape. Usually not a serious pest within its native range, southeastern US. This species was accidentally introduced into so. California in the early 1990s, probably with ornamental or agricultural stock. There, it has become a serious threat to viticulture.”  According to Featured Creatures, the Glassy Winged Sharpshooter:  “feeds in the xylem, the water conducting tissue of both herbaceous and woody plants. Its known host range is vast, including more than 100 plant species (Turner and Pollard). Preferred plants depend on the season and locality, but, in general, the preferred species include crape myrtle, citrus, and holly. Glassy-winged sharpshooters tend to feed on last-year’s growth and meristematic growth (Mizell and French), and excrete copious amounts of liquid as they feed. The sharpshooters ingest 100 to 300 times their dry body weight in xylem fluid per day, and in large populations, their high volume of excreta (“leafhopper rain”) can become a problem, leaving white residue on leaves.”  We have received reports of the Glassy Winged Sharpshooter on Cannabis, including this submission by a regular contributor, Constant Gardener.

Location: Riverside, California