Subject:  What caterpillar and moth or butterfly will this be
Geographic location of the bug:  Chapala, mexico
Your letter to the bugman:  My friend sent me a pic of this caterpillar from Chapala Mexico. After looking online I found hornworm caterpillars. Which one is this and what moth or butterfly does it turn into. Also what is the purpose of the horn?
How you want your letter signed:  Sarah

Unknown Hornworm

Dear Sarah,
We are very confident that this is a Hornworm in the family Sphingidae, and that it will eventually transform into a Sphinx Moth or Hawkmoth, but alas, we have not been successful identifying its species despite the excellent database on Sphingidae of the Americas.  We will write to Bill Oehlke to see if he can provide a species identification.

Bill Oehlke Responds.
Hi Daniel, I think I have seen that one before, but a quick check did not let me come up with an id. Later this afternoon I will send it to Jean Haxaire to see if he knows what it is.
Bill

Jean Haxaire has indicated Isognathus rimosus inclitus.
I wish permission to post it to website. Please check with photographer and forward his or her name.
Bill

Ed. Note:  The subspecies Isognathus rimosus inclitus is pictured on Sphingidae of the Americas, but there is no larval image.  We are writing back to Sarah with the identification and a request from Bill Oehlke to include the image on his comprehensive site.

Thanks so much. I’m checking with my friend and am getting an exact location if possible. I’m sure she’ll be alright with sharing, but will get back to you tomorrow.
Sarah

Pilar Martinez is the photographer and the pic was taken in Chapala, Jalisco , Mexico
Pilar has said ok to sharing the image. I’m copying her on this email.
Thank you so much for the identification and glad to contribute to the database.
Please send us a link when it’s up.

Thanks Sarah and Pilar,
Pilar’s image is already live on What’s That Bug? and Bill Oehlke will post it to the species page for
 Isognathus rimosus inclitus on his site, Sphingidae of the Americas, where he has adult moths of  pictured, but no caterpillars.

Bill Oehlke’s website:
Please say thanks to Sarah and Pilar for me and let them know Isognathus rimosus inclitus image has been posted to
http://www.silkmoths.bizland.com/Sphinx/irimoinc.htm
Bill Oehlke

Location: Chapala, Sinaloa, Mexico