Subject:  Praying mantis (patreon)
Geographic location of the bug:  Lewis Center OH
Time: 10:29 AM EDT
Your letter to the bugman:  I’ve never seen such a pale colored mantis.  I supposed it molted recently?  It looks opalescent, so beautiful!  I found it trapped in the vestibule of the Tim Hortons.
How you want your letter signed:  Jennifer Huffman

Female Carolina Mantis

Dear Jennifer,
This is an adult female Carolina Mantis.  Though she has wings, she is not capable of flight.  Only the adult males can fly.  Carolina Mantids can be either brown or green, and sometimes a combination.  Though this individual is light, the color does not seem unusually light to us.  Because of your kindness prompting you to release this Carolina Mantis from the vestibule where you found her trapped, we are tagging this posting with the Bug Humanitarian Award.

What an honor!  I’d like to take this opportunity to thank my husband, who patiently waits for me to inspect and photograph bugs everywhere we go.

Sorry one follow up question … on your site it seems to be spelled “preying” mantis, but I had always understood the word as “praying” mantis?

Hi again Jennifer.  We know that Praying Mantis is the more common spelling, but we prefer Preying Mantis.  Here is an explanation we gave a reader 13 years ago.

Location: Lewis Center, Ohio