Subject:  Bug in vegetable garden
Geographic location of the bug:  Dartmouth, MA
Your letter to the bugman:  I’ve had a garden for years, but this is the first year that I’m seeing this bug on my plants.  In the picture, it is on a pumpkin vine.  I’ve also seen it on the zucchini plants. It’s white with brown markings.  This one is larger that most I’ve seen, about 1/4 inch.  Any help would be appreciated!
How you want your letter signed:  Cyndee

Probably Squash Bug Nymph

Dear Cyndee,
This is a True Bug nymph, and immature stages can be very difficult to identify with accuracy.  Furthermore, we believe it is an immature Leaf Footed Bug in the family Coreidae.  It looks similar to both this immature Coreid Bug in the genus
Catorhintha that is pictured on BugGuide as well as this Squash Bug nymph, Anasa tristis, that is pictured on BugGuide.  Of the latter, BugGuide indicates “Hosts: Cucurbitaceae; prefers pumpkin and squash” and “the most injurious coreid in FL.” Its presence on your pumpkin and zucchini is a good indication it is a Squash Bug nymph.

Location: Dartmouth, Massachusetts