Subject:  Mysterious Tabanus
Geographic location of the bug:  Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Your letter to the bugman:  Hello bugman!
I found this large (1-1 1/2″) and very slow-flying horse fly on the trim of my car a few mornings ago. Only when I poked it with a stick did it finally fly around a bit and in a manner that almost reminded me of a bumblebee, flying with abdomen hangings down slightly. It stayed in the same area of our garage door for 24 hours. Every time my camera flash lit up, both for pre-flash and actual picture, the fly kind of jumped, as if it was scared or pained by the flash on my old Samsung A5 phone camera. But it never actually flew or even moved it’s feet much because of the flash, just sort of jumped on the spot.
I’m certain this is in the Tabanus genus thanks to a lot of googling, but cannot determine the species. The closest I can come is maybe Tabanus superjumentarius. Thoughts?
Thank you,
How you want your letter signed:  Mike L. in Ottawa

Horse Fly

Dear Mike L. in Ottawa,
We are going to go with
Tabanus catenatus which is pictured on BugGuide and is reported from Ontario on BugGuide.  The space between the eyes indicates this individual is a female.

Horse Fly

Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada