Subject:  Big identification
Geographic location of the bug:  Southeast Texas
Your letter to the bugman:  This has been flying around here for a few days now. I have tried to identify it but no pictures are exactly accurate to its markings. It is the last day of July and temperatures are in the 90’s.
How you want your letter signed:  Sue

16 minutes later:  I believe I found a picture of it. Could it be a Cicada Killer Wasp?

Cicada Killer

Hi Sue,
You are correct that this is a Cicada Killer and it looks quite dead.  Cicada Killers are not aggressive toward humans, and though they are quite large and possibly scary appearing, they are not interested in stinging humans, but that does not prevent them from falling victim to unnecessary carnageFemale Cicada Killers spend their lives hunting Cicadas to provision a nest.  Like other solitary wasps, they do not defend the nest from threats. 

Thank you for verifying it’s name. We have tons of Cicadas here so that explains their presence.

Location: texas