Subject:  Borer Beetle?
Geographic location of the bug:  Ayr, Ontario
Your letter to the bugman:  Saw this guy on the side of our house at the end of July. About 4”-5” long.
How you want your letter signed:  Alex

Female Dobsonfly

Hi Alex,
We are being bombarded with identification requests for Corydalids today, but your image is the first we have received of a female Dobsonfly, and the image is so beautiful, we have to format it for posting.  Though the mandibles of the male Dobsonfly look much more frightening, they are specialized for allegedly fighting off other males as well as during mating, but they are not useful for either eating or defending from a threat.  The mandibles of the female Dobsonfly are much more utilitarian, and she can easily defend herself by painfully nipping at a threat, including a person, but the bite is not dangerous.  Adult Dobsonflies do not eat.

Thanks for the quick response! Your website has created a whole new world of backyard research for me. I’ve been doing lots of reading on these guys since I saw your response.
Feel free to use my picture for anything that you might need.
Cheers,
Alex

Hi again Alex,
We are happy to hear our site has inspired you to do more research into the wonderful creatures that surround you.

Location: Ayr, Ontario, Canada