Subject:  Black and white moth
Geographic location of the bug:  Cheyenne Mountain State Park near Colorado Springs, Colorado
Your letter to the bugman:  I saw this moth fluttering somewhat weakly along a trail 7-20-19 on a 90 degree day in scrub oak/ponderosa foothills area in the park.  Immediately after I took the photo it was attacked by a hornet, but after a brief struggle the two separated and when their separate ways. I can’t seem to find any photos that are even close.  I think it might be a type of tiger moth or wasp moth, but I can’t seem to find anything that fits.
How you want your letter signed:  Anne

Your letter to the bugman: 
I guess I should have looked at your website more thoroughly before I submitted a question.  You have some lovely photos of Police Car moths that are obviously what my submission was.  Please feel free to disregard the query.
How you want your letter signed:  Anne

Diurnal Police Car Moth

Dear Anne,
We are so happy you were able to identify this diurnal Police Car Moth on our site in 12 minutes and then write back to inform us to take your query off the queue.  To be quite frank, we don’t follow a queue that strictly, and letters with interesting subject lines often catch our eye regardless of their place in line.  Seeing that you wrote back to us before we were able to respond was another reason we selected your submission to read on a Sunday.  It was a pleasure reading your submission and we enjoyed cropping and resizing your image for the internet and we were careful to include as much of the plant as possible for identification purposes.  According to Montana Field Guides:  “The larvae feed on the foliage and flowers of Mertensia (bluebells). Adults nectar sources such as Cirsium(thistle) and Solidago species (goldenrod) (Coin 2004).”  The fact that the Police Car Moth nectars is a good indication it has a longer lifespan, and so more time to locate a mate and distribute eggs.     

Location: Colorado Springs, Colorado