Subject:  Active dobsonfly pupa
Geographic location of the bug:  Wilberforce, Ontario, Canada
Your letter to the bugman:  Hi there! I’ve always enjoyed your site, and thought you might enjoy these photos from a video of a dobsonfly pupa in my garden (if you would like the video, I’m happy to share – just email me). I noticed it moving after watering the plants. I’ve never seen the pupal forms before (just larvae and adults most years) and wasn’t sure at first what was going on. But it seems to be re-packing the cell it made in the soil. Once it seemed to be finished, I placed a small bit of birch bark over the hole for a bit more cover. We live near a river in a woodland area, and this year had quite a number of hellgrammites emerge one day in the spring – 20 that we could see!
How you want your letter signed:  Erin

Dobsonfly Pupa, or pre-pupal Hellgrammite???

Dear Erin,
Thanks for sending in your images along with personal observations.  While we don’t contest that this is an immature Dobsonfly, we question perhaps that it might be a pre-pupal Hellgrammite that is preparing for metamorphosis rather than an actual Dobsonfly pupa.

Location: Wilberforce, Ontario, Canada