Subject:  Pyralidae on hemp?
Geographic location of the bug:  Alabama
Your letter to the bugman:  Found on young hemp transplant inside greenhouse.
How you want your letter signed:  Benjamin Bramlett

Sparganothis Fruitworm Moth Moth

Dear Benjamin,
We believe this is a member of the superfamily Pyraloidea, which includes the families Pyralidae and Crambidae, but we are not having any luck identifying the species.  We do not believe it poses a threat to your hemp plant.  Perhaps one of our readers will have better luck with an identification than we have had.

Update:  June 11, 2019
Thanks to a comment from Karl, we now know that this is a Sparganothis Fruitworm Moth, Sparganothis sulfureana, a Tortricid Moth in the family Tortricidae, a new category for our site.  According to BugGuide:  “Larvae feed on a variety of forbs and woody plants, including some crops, such as corn (maize) and cranberry.” Tortricids of Agricultural Importance does not list Cannabis as a host plant, but it is surely a woody plant and we will have to retract our earlier statement about it not posing a threat to Benjamin’s hemp plant.  It might pose a threat.

Very interesting! Even in an area where blueberries (apparently a pest of cranberry and blueberries) are abundant I have never heard of this species before. It seems to be polyphagus so I will keep my eye out for damage to the hemp. I suspect it will not prefer to reproduce on the hemp so it will migrate but time will tell  Thank you for the update

Location: Alabama

2 Responses to Sparganothis Fruitworm Moth on Hemp

1. Looks like a Sparganothis Fruitworm moth (Tortricidae: Sparganothis sulfureana)

http://mothphotographersgroup.msstate.edu/species.php?hodges=3695

Thanks Karl,
      Thanks so much for this identification. Upon seeing the list of food plants on Tortricids of Agricultural Importance, we retracted our statement that we doubted it posed a threat to Benjamin’s hemp plant. We have changed our stance to “It might pose a threat.” Daniel is currently out of the office, in Ohio. Fireflies have still not appeared and he is hoping to see some individuals from Brood VIII of the Periodical Cicadas.