Subject:  Pyralidae on hemp?
Geographic location of the bug:  Alabama
Your letter to the bugman:  Found on young hemp transplant inside greenhouse.
How you want your letter signed:  Benjamin Bramlett

Sparganothis Fruitworm Moth Moth

Dear Benjamin,
We believe this is a member of the superfamily Pyraloidea, which includes the families Pyralidae and Crambidae, but we are not having any luck identifying the species.  We do not believe it poses a threat to your hemp plant.  Perhaps one of our readers will have better luck with an identification than we have had.

Update:  June 11, 2019
Thanks to a comment from Karl, we now know that this is a Sparganothis Fruitworm Moth, Sparganothis sulfureana, a Tortricid Moth in the family Tortricidae, a new category for our site.  According to BugGuide:  “Larvae feed on a variety of forbs and woody plants, including some crops, such as corn (maize) and cranberry.” Tortricids of Agricultural Importance does not list Cannabis as a host plant, but it is surely a woody plant and we will have to retract our earlier statement about it not posing a threat to Benjamin’s hemp plant.  It might pose a threat.

Very interesting! Even in an area where blueberries (apparently a pest of cranberry and blueberries) are abundant I have never heard of this species before. It seems to be polyphagus so I will keep my eye out for damage to the hemp. I suspect it will not prefer to reproduce on the hemp so it will migrate but time will tell  Thank you for the update

Location: Alabama

3 Responses to Sparganothis Fruitworm Moth on Hemp

1. Karl Kroeker says:

Looks like a Sparganothis Fruitworm moth (Tortricidae: Sparganothis sulfureana)

http://mothphotographersgroup.msstate.edu/species.php?hodges=3695

Thanks Karl,
      Thanks so much for this identification. Upon seeing the list of food plants on Tortricids of Agricultural Importance, we retracted our statement that we doubted it posed a threat to Benjamin’s hemp plant. We have changed our stance to “It might pose a threat.” Daniel is currently out of the office, in Ohio. Fireflies have still not appeared and he is hoping to see some individuals from Brood VIII of the Periodical Cicadas.

2. Karl Kroeker says: