Subject:  Mystery Beetle
Geographic location of the bug:  Potomac, Maryland
Time: 09:50 AM EDT
Your letter to the bugman:  We always try to identify insects we find. But we’ve been unable to ID this particular insect, which we believe is a beetle. We’ve looked in 2 different guides, but no match. Can you help us?
How you want your letter signed:  Caleb & Adam

Oriental Beetle

Dear Caleb & Adam,
We identified this Invasive Exotic Oriental Beetle,
Exomala orientalis, thanks to Beetles of Eastern North America by Arthur V. Evans.  Here is a matching image on BugGuide.  According to BugGuide:  “native to E. Asia, adventive in NA (*NS-GA to ON-WI-*MO)(*BG data), and spreading” and “earliest US records: 1920s.”

Location: Potomac, Maryland

2 Responses to Oriental Beetle

1. Barbara James says:

I captured this little beetle after it stung my finger and identified as the Exomala Orientalis. I was most interested to find out if the sting was toxic. After researching the internet and finding out about it’s size, origin and history etc., not one article even mentioned if it was harmless or toxic. However I can report from personal experience that this little beetle is quite ferocious!