Subject:  Crane fly sting
Geographic location of the bug:  Eau Claire WI USA
Your letter to the bugman:  Hello,
I’ve been reading that the crane fly is harmless and does not bite or sting. I was outdoors this evening and felt a sudden sting under my shirt, I instinctively grabbed and squeezed the offender. The sting was intense and spread under the skin like tiny lightning bolts. I have attached a picture of the insect and the bite area.
I also have the specimen in a bag I’m willing to mail at your request.
How you want your letter signed:  Shelly K

Ichneumon, not Crane Fly

Dear Shelly,
We have always relied on the response from experts, including Dr. Chen Young, that Crane Flies neither sting nor bite, and we have had numerous inquiries that dispute that opinion.  We even have a posting with a Crane Fly and what appears to be a sting perpetrated by the pictured Crane Fly.  For years we have also suggested that the perpetrator might be an Ichneumon, a parasitoid Wasp.  In your case, the pictured insect is an Ichneumon, not a Crane Fly.

Location: Eau Claire, Wisconsin

2 Responses to Stinging Ichneumon mistaken for Crane Fly

1. Lisa says:

My friend had cellulitis from a white flying bug like the one in the picture and I said to her while she was screaming in pain abd it was red & swelling…i have never seen a bug like this
    Bristol Pennsylvania

2. Lisa says:

Bristol Pennsylvania