Subject:  Bright and Lonely in FL
Geographic location of the bug:  St. Petersburg, FL
Your letter to the bugman:  Hello from sunny Florida! It’s springtime here and I found this bright and lonely guy  (or gal) hanging out by itself for literally hours on the aluminum railing of my porch. It didn’t seem to mind me walking by and taking a picture of it. I wonder if it’s sick/dying because it is in an odd place not reacting to much at all. It walks up and down but I haven’t seen it fly yet. I’m not sure exactly what species this is, although it appears to be some sort of beetle. Of note, there is a small spider that created a web in the corner of my porch ceiling. I’m not sure if maybe the spider is after this unusual looking beetle or if the beetle is after it and that’s maybe why it’s creeping so slowly! Help with identification and info on if I should be worried about anything like harm to my house, plants or the poor lonely beetle itself, would be greatly appreciated! 🙂
How you want your letter signed:  Thanks so much! ~Alicia

Longjawed Longhorn Beetle

Dear Alicia,
This magnificent beetle is a Longjawed Longhorn Beetle,
Dendrobias mandibularis, and the smaller mandibles indicate this is a female.  The males have very impressive mandibles.  According to BugGuide:  “Hosts: Citrus, Parkinsonia, Salix, Celtis.

Location: St. Petersburg, Florida