Subject:  What type of cricket (?) is this?
Geographic location of the bug:  Sydney, Australia
Your letter to the bugman:  Hi this cricket (?) leapt at me and then tried to bite me! When I tried to initiate contact it reared back like a spider and it’s mandibles we’re clacking away.
How you want your letter signed:  Simon Carter

Raspy Cricket

Dear Simon,
This is a King Cricket in the genus
Australostoma.  There are images posted to FlickR and The Bug Chicks.  According to the Queensland Museum:  “Giant King Crickets are found only in rainforest in south-eastern Queensland and north-eastern New South Wales. They live in burrows in the soil and emerge on wet nights to forage on the rainforest floor for live insects and rotten fruit. They are closely related to the giant wetas of New Zealand.”

Raspy Cricket

Correction:  We received a comment from Matthew that this is actually a Raspy Cricket which is profiled on Brisbane Insects.

Location: Sydney, Australia

2 Responses to Raspy Cricket from Australia

1. Matthew Connors says:

All Australian King Crickets (Anostostomatidae) are completely wingless – this one is a juvenile Raspy Cricket (Gryllacrididae)