Subject:  Strange bug
Geographic location of the bug:  Panorama city/van nuys, california
Your letter to the bugman:  Hi! Hoping you can help me?…Im finding TONS of these, strange, “furry”(?) white bugs, in the weeds of my, overgrown, lawn – and, especially, on a, large,thistle plant…and, i cannot seem to find ANYthing like them, online (maybe, im not describing them, correctly?)! At first, i thought they were spiders – but, now, im not sure? They have many, silky/delicate-looking, legs or spines – look, almost, like the top of a dandylion. They move slowly…dont jump or fly…almost, seem to “roll” over the leaves?…and, like to perch in, small, clusters
Is theres ANY way you could get back to me, ASAP?…as, TOMORROW afternoon, the gardener is going to be mowing the yard, and, probabky, cutting down the thistle plant (im trying to ID THAT, too – to see if its native, and, if i should keep it or not?), and…im feeling, real, guilty…because, these bugs seem to like the thistle, so much – and, i may, inadvertantly, be committing a ” bug-genocide”! Hopefully, therell, probably, still, be SOME of them left – and, if so…i, also, need to know IF they bite or are venemous, etc…and, whether i need to keep my dogs away?
Thank you, SO, much!
P.S. i have another photo which shows the body, but, it said i couldnt attach it because i had exceeded the maximum weight (i could send it, seperately, if you need it?)
How you want your letter signed:  Madelaine

Seeds

Dear Madelaine,
We do not see any insects in your image, but based on your description, we believe you are mistaking airborne seeds like those of a dandelion for insects.  The seeds might be from salsify or some other plant that uses the wind to disperse seeds.  Foodstuff has an image of salsify seeds.  They are most likely thistle seeds.

Location: Panorama City, California