Subject:  What is this?
Geographic location of the bug:  Virginia
Your letter to the bugman:  Hello. I was wondering what kind of bug this is. I found it in my garden of pansies and daisies. I have never seen one before. I’m not sure if it flies or not, it was just crawling around on the wood that borders my garden.
How you want your letter signed:  Brieanna

Lablab Bug

Dear Virginia,
This is a Lablab Bug,
Megacopta cribraria, an invasive species accidentally introduced from China.  According to BugGuide:  “earliest record in our area: GA 2009 may invade homes in large numbers and become a household pest.”  Additionally, according to BugGuide, it is a significant agricultural pest because:  “hosts: in the US, reported to develop only on soybean and kudzu – Univ. FL, 2012.  Primary hosts are Fabaceae. It has also been reported on plants from other families, such as sweet potatoes, potatoes, corn and cotton.”  The advantage it provided by feeding on invasive kudzu weed is far outweighed by its negative attributes.  Since its introduction a scant ten years ago, BugGuide now reports it from Maryland to Florida and west to Arkansas. 

Location: Virginia