Subject:  Dragonfly
Geographic location of the bug:  Hanoi, Vietnam
Your letter to the bugman:  I have just sent an ID request for an Italian dragonfly, and then recalled that I had still not been able to put a name to one I found in VN.  I could not get any info from people I knew there and couldn’t track it in the web either.
I would be very grateful if you could put me out of my misery. :-))
Regards
How you want your letter signed:  Fof

Dragonfly:  possibly Common Picturewing

Dear Fof,
We located a Dragonflies and Damselflies of Vietnam site, but we are currently out of the office, battling a very slow internet in Ohio, and we are frustrated with the organizational structure of the site, but you might be able to locate your individual by carefully scrutinizing the site.  We also located the Stamp Mall site where there is a beautiful set of 1977 Dragonfly stamps from Vietnam, and the seventh stamp appears similar to your individual, but we cannot read Vietnamese.

Update:  Thanks to a comment from Cesar Crash, we agree this looks very similar to Rhyothemis variegata imperatrix.  According to iNaturalist, the species is known as the Common Picturewing.  Island.f3 has some images from Okinawa.  Odonata.jp also has some very good images.  Online images indicate this is a highly variable species that has varying degrees of transparency in the markings on its wings.

Location: Hanoi, Vietnam

2 Responses to Unidentified Dragonfly from Vietnam is Common Picturewing

1. I Googled that chuồn chuồn cảnh khoảng and I found Rhyothemis variegata imperatrix: https://species.wikimedia.org/wiki/Rhyothemis_variegata_imperatrix#/media/File:Rhyothemis_variegata_imperatrix_by_OpenCage.jpg Not sure if it is a perfect match.