Subject:  Mud Wasps?
Geographic location of the bu:  Sadleir NSW
Your letter to the bugman:  Hi the wasps in the pic are living on my clothes line can u please tell me if they are mud wasps n what kind? Also if they are aggressive how can i remove them in a manner safe for me and them?
How you want your letter signed:  Yours Sincerely Lori Jenkins

Paper Wasp Nest

Dear Lori,
This appears to be a Paper Wasp nest, probably from the genus
Polistes.  According to the Brisbane Insect site:  “There are different species of Paper Wasps. Those wasps in genus Polistes build inverted mushroom-shaped. They build rather small paper combs nest suspended from a peduncle and not surrounded by an envelope. … They are dark brown in colour with yellow bends on dark brown abdomen. The thorax is black in colour with yellow ‘V’ markings. Their faces are yellow with large compound eyes.” Your image is rather dark and lacking detail, so we would not rule out the genus Ropalidia which is also pictured on the Brisbane Insect site.  Paper Wasps are social wasps that will defend the nest against attack by stinging, and some species might be more aggressive than others, but when they do not feel the nest is threatened, they are quite docile.

Location: Sadlier, New South Wales, Australia