Subject:  Spider looks like Snuffleupagus!
Geographic location of the bug:  Singapore, Singapore
Time: 04:34 AM EDT
Your letter to the bugman:  Hello Bugman. We spotted this rather large spider lounging atop a leaf in a shady area beside a path in a mangrove forest. My friend called it “Snuffleupagus” while I kept thinking “Davy Jones” from Pirates of the Caribbean. We’re hoping you can tell us the proper name of this pretty spider.
How you want your letter signed:  Thanks!

Huntsman Spider

Because of the increased length of the first two pairs of legs relative to the two pairs of hind legs, we are identifying your Spider as a Huntsman Spider or Giant Crab Spider in the family Sparassidae, and they eye arrangement also supports that family.  Huntsman Spiders are not considered dangerous to humans.  They are nocturnal hunters that do no build webs.  Some species even adapt to living with humans where they are tolerated because they feed on cockroaches, scorpions and other more problematic household visitors.  Here is a BugGuide image for comparison.

Huntsman Spider

Thank you so much for the identification of the spider! It looked so strange with all legs splayed forward, I had thought it was a decaying flower until I saw the rows of eyes. Very grateful for your help solving our “snuffleupagus spider” mystery!
Dr Gan Su-lin

Location: Singapore