Subject:  ? Spider/scorpion ? Or what
Geographic location of the bug:  Panama, western highlands
Your letter to the bugman:  First looked like scorpion, which we have here, was moving 2 pinchers which were short and flush with head, but had long torso, more like a bee? 4 legs on each side plus long feeler type front legs. Total lenght maybe 1 1/2 inches.
How you want your letter signed:  Confused

Solifugid

Dear Confused,
You do not seem confused to us at all.  What you described as a “? Spider/scorpion ? Or what” is a Solifugid, a non-venomous Arachnid that is related to both Spiders and Scorpions, but lacking a venomous bite or sting.  Solifugids are sometimes called Wind Scorpions or Sun Spiders.  We frequently get identification requests from the Southwestern parts of North America.  Middle Eastern Solifugids are much larger in size, are commonly called Camel Spiders and were the result of some internet hysteria several years ago.

Wow!
Thank you so much for the info and for responding. We have lots of bugs here in the highland sof Panama and I find them intriquing and fun.
This one was different as it was on my pillow.
No longer confused.
Nancy
Location: Panama

One Response to Solifugid from Panama

1. I found one in my house near the beach in Rio Hato, Panama. Super fast! It gave us a good scare.