Subject:  Fruit Fly? Red AND Green?
Geographic location of the bug:n  New Paltz, New York
Time: 01:09 AM EDT
Your letter to the bugman:  HELLO BUGMAN! I LOVE that this site hasn’t changed since i was in middle school like 8 years ago, god bless, we STAN consistency!! <3
anyways, I found this fly, its wing markings suggest fruit fly to me, but the metallic color says otherwise? And my entomology professor didnt understand why its thorax would be a different color than its abdomen? What do you think!? <3 <3
Julian
How you want your letter signed:  IG:ultim8grandma

Long Legged Fly

Dear Julian,
Thanks so much for the great compliment, though we hope we have changed for the better over the years.  We have considerably more postings on our site now than we did then.  This is NOT a Fruit Fly.  It is a Long Legged Fly in the family Dolichopodidae, and it resembles this individual from the genus
Condylostylus that is pictured on BugGuide. It looks like it might be Condylostylus patibulatus which is pictured on BugGuide and which is known from New York as well as much of eastern North America.  According to BugGuide:  “Green body, black legs, black antennae, face with pale hairs, … In the Northeast, no other species has black legs and marked wings.”

Location: New Paltz, New York