Subject:  Huge possible moth egg cluster
Geographic location of the bug:  Portland, Oregon
Your letter to the bugman:  At first I thought this 4-tine garden cultivator had rusted solid from being left outdoors, but upon closer inspection I realized it was entirely covered in dark orange eggs! I think they might be moth eggs. No eggs were present on the wooden handle.
How you want your letter signed:  Pam

Slime Mold we believe

Dear Pam,
Thanks for sending in this fascinating mystery.  While these red “things” do seem to resemble insect eggs, we have our doubts because of the varying size of the individual “eggs.”  We would expect much more regularity in the size of eggs.  Here is a somewhat similar looking image of Slime Mold that we found online and Dave’s Blog has a similar image.  We also found Slime Mole images that look similar on FlickR and on the University of California Agriculture and Natural Resources site.  We are inclined to identify them as Slime Mold.

Slime Mole we believe

Oh wow! Thank you so much, I would never have considered a mold, I have never seen anything like it before!
Also, Thank you so much for your blog, I have been using it to identify random “bugs” that I have found for over 10 years, starting when I was just a teenager. It has been an invaluable resource for me.

Slime Mold we believe

Location: Portland, Oregon