Subject:  Can you identify this bug please
Geographic location of the bug:  Ferny Creek, Melbourne Vic
Time: 12:04 AM EDT
Your letter to the bugman:  Hi bug man,
Just wondering if you can tell me what this bug was. It was So pretty….
How you want your letter signed:  Tammara

Eucalyptus Borer

Dear Tammara,
While it appears to have met an unnatural end, your indication that “It was So pretty” causes us to speculate that you were not involved in this beetle’s demise.  Though it is an insect native to Australia, most of our images of Eucalyptus Borers are sent from Southern California where the beetle has naturalized because of an accidental introduction in about 1967.  There are many eucalyptus trees in Southern California, so when the Eucalyptus Borer was introduced, it had no trouble finding a food source.  According to Oz Animals:  “The larvae of the Eucalyptus Long-horned Borer attack Eucalypt trees. They mostly attack stressed or damaged trees. Evidence of borers includes holes in the bark and oozing fluid on trunk or branches. In severe cases foliage may wilt and limbs die back. They rarely kill healthy trees.” 

Thankyou Daniel for your reply!
We have lots of bugs in Ferny Creek, never spotted a live one.
We are surrounded by eucalypts and messmates as we live on the Dandenong Ranges National Park.
Thanks again for you time… I will keep an eye out for a living one .️
Tammara

Location: Ferny Creek, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia