Subject:  Carolina Wolf Spider?
Geographic location of the bug:  South Denver, Colorado
Time: 12:19 AM EDT
Your letter to the bugman:  Dear Bugman,
This big guy has been hanging out in our well for two days now. He is about 2-3 inches in length (a little longer than a sharpie pen cap). He seems very large for a Colorado spider, largest I’ve seen in years! He’s mostly grey on top with black markings (black X on abdomen); on bottom he is black and grey banded. He’s also got some cool gold/orange fangs! Also seems like his markings have changed from picture 2 to 3. Pictures were taken day apart, second day about 10 degrees cooler. The only spider I can figure it is is a form of a wolf spider.. what do you think? Thank you!
How you want your letter signed:  To Sarah,

Carolina Wolf Spider

Dear Sarah,
We agree that this certainly looks like a Carolina Wolf Spider which is pictured on BugGuide.  According to BugGuide:  “Orange paturons (chelicera) and black around the the ‘knees’ ventrally are characteristics of the species.(Jeff Hollenbeck)” and that is exactly what your ventral view illustrates.

Carolina Wolf Spider

Location: Denver, Colorado