Subject:  Found giant fly at neighbors house
Geographic location of the bug:  Tennessee
Time: 08:06 AM EDT
Your letter to the bugman:  I found this giant fly at my neighbors house. Well I found 3 of them so far and took a pic of one. He is an elderly man and I sometimes clean his house for him. He had to put his dog down because it got sick. Three holes were discovered on its back. Could this fly be the cause? What type is it and how can he get rid of them? Thanks for your help.
How you want your letter signed:  Nessa

Flesh Fly

Dear Nessa,
This is a Flesh Fly in the family Sarcophagidae, and according to BugGuide:  “Larvae: many species are necrophagous, but some feed in mammalian tissues or parasitize other arthropods (bees, cicadas, termites, grasshoppers/locusts, millipedes), earthworms, or snails. Adults feed on various sugar-containing materials such as nectar, sap, fruit juices and honeydew.”  If the dog’s flesh had necrotized, it is possible that the Flesh Flies laid eggs in the wounds.  We do not provide extermination advice.

Location: Tennessee