Subject:  What is this bug ?
Geographic location of the bug:  on the Hillsborough river in Tampa Florida
Your letter to the bugman:  I was kayaking on the Hillsborough river – yesterday August 10th, at about 11am.  I saw this thing floating on the water, and then it just disappeared under the water.  About 10 seconds later it came back up to the top.  It was fairly large, about 5″ long – so it doesn’t seem to fit any of the water strider pics I’ve been able to find online.  It started “skating” towards my kayak so I used my paddle to swirl the water so it could not get to my boat.  I can’t find anything about this online.  Any ideas ?
How you want your letter signed:  With an answer – LOL

Fishing Spider

How exciting.  You had an encounter with a Fishing Spider in the genus Dolomedes, most likely a Six Spotted Fishing Spider, Dolomedes triton, the member of the genus that is most often found “walking on water.”  Fishing Spiders earned their common name because the most aquatic members of the genus are able to dive beneath the surface of the water both to escape predators and to capture prey, including small fish, tadpoles and aquatic insects.

Location: Tampa, Florida