Subject:  I sect I’d help #1
Geographic location of the bug:  Greenport Suffolk county NY
Your letter to the bugman:  Hi rhere,
My friend took a picture of this near her job. I tried so hard to identify this but I cant. I think it’s on a sycamore tree, looking at the bark.  The best I had was cicada killer but I don’t thi k that’s it. Its driving me crazy, please help me.
Thank you so much,
Ann
How you want your letter signed:  Ann in Long Beach

Cicada Killer and Annual Cicada

Dear Ann,
Despite the very poor quality of your friend’s image, this is definitely a Cicada Killer and prey, and due to the dearth of nice images of Cicada Killers we have received this year (and half of them were dead), we are thrilled to post your friend’s image of a live Cicada Killer doing what earned it its common name.  Annual Cicadas are often much larger than the Cicada Killer and that makes it quite difficult for the Cicada Killer to take off from the ground with such a heavy payload, so the Cicada Killer has adapted to climb trees and other vertical features so it can take off from a good height and glide back toward the nest.

Hi daniel,
I asked her to email the origi al to me. I’m s
Waiting. You have made me so excited!I’ll share this with my scie ce class too in the fall.
Ann
Glad we could help Ann.
P.S.  We don’t correct grammar, misspellings or other errors on identification requests.  Typing quickly on portable devices often leads to all three.
This is the original Cicada killer image at 2.4MB its much larger.  Her name is Margaret Lanza.  Exact location Bohemia,NY near Islip airport
Please let me know that you received this.
Best Regards,
Ann Smith

Cicada Killer with Annual Cicada

Hi Ann,
Thanks for providing the higher resolution image, but alas, there is some camera shake so the image is not critically sharp, but it is still much better than the original file you submitted.  At least now both the Cicada Killer and the Annual Cicada are plainly recognizable.

Location: Bohemia, New York