Subject:  Swarming around lights inside
Geographic location of the bug:  California’s Central Coast
Time: 01:54 AM EDT
Your letter to the bugman:  For the last several days a few of these bugs have been showing up inside our house. This evening, a huge group was swarming every light we had on. Can you tell me what this is? We have screens on all of our windows, so I’m concerned about how they are getting in. Appreciate your help if you can share any info. Thanks!
How you want your letter signed:  Amy

Webspinner

Dear Amy,
This is a benign Webspinner in the insect order Embiidina, and you have already discovered what BugGuide remarks:  “winged males of some species come to lights.”  BugGuide also notes:  “rapid runners, often run backwards; live in colonies (in galleries of spun silk) and exhibit limited maternal care for eggs and young.”  We don’t provide extermination advice, but you can try dimming the lights, keeping lamps away from windows and checking the screens for access points.

Webspinners Swarming Around Light

Location: Central Coast California