Subject:  Bee
Geographic location of the bug:  Spain
Time: 07:01 AM EDT
Your letter to the bugman:  Please identify this beautiful bee. Sorry the photo isn’t clearer. The body is covered in black hairs. The wings are irridescent blue. 6 legs
How you want your letter signed:  Dave

Violet Carpenter Bee

Dear Dave,
This is a Violet Carpenter Bee,
Xylocopa violacea, which is pictured on Iberia Nature where it states:  “Their wings are brown like old film negatives, until the light catches them and they turn blue. The males signal their sex with orange antennae tips.”  According to Independent:  “It’s about three times the size of the biggest bumblebee. It may have astonished you on a holiday in the Med or other warm climes but otherwise you’re unlikely to have encountered anything like it. But now you can see it in Britain – for the violet carpenter bee, the biggest and most remarkable-looking bee in Europe, has crossed the Channel and has begun breeding in this country.”  Their presence in Britain might be evidence of global warming.

Many thanks. I’m on holiday in Spain & my grand children were fascinated to know what it was. So was I!
Sad that it was dead when I found it.
Dave

Location: Spain