Subject:  Please identify
Geographic location of the bug:  Cincinnati, OH
Time: 09:01 AM EDT
Your letter to the bugman:  I found this insect in my kitchen.  I have never seen this type before. It was easy to catch in a jar. I nicknamed it “the boxer” because it looks like it’s wearing boxing gloves and acted like it was sparring. Please tell me what it is.
How you want your letter signed:  Mary

Handsome Trig

Dear Mary,
This is a Red Headed Bush Cricket or Handsome Trig, and the curved ovipositor at the tip of the abdomen indicates it is female.  According to BugGuide:  “Found in vegetation near streams and marshes, about a meter above the ground” and “there are no similar species in the U.S.”

Daniel, thanks so much for your timely and helpful response. Is it an uncommon insect? I’ve never seen one before.
Mary

Hi Again Mary,
The BugGuide range based on submissions is relatively extensive, and we have not read anywhere that Handsome Trigs are rare.  Many insects go unnoticed if folks are not looking for them.  You encountered this individual because she entered your kitchen, perhaps on your clothing if you were in the yard.  Insects have learned to hide, because avoiding detection means they stand a better chance of not becoming a meal to a predator.

Thanks again, Daniel. My visiting Red Headed Bush Cricket has been safely released into my back yard. I am fascinated by her coloring, especially the legs.

Location: Cincinnati, Ohio