Subject:  Some kind of Wasp
Geographic location of the bug:  Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
Time: 10:41 AM EDT
Your letter to the bugman:  I tried to find this bug  by using many possible search tags. I found this bee in the lungs of Mumbai City, i.e. Sanjay Gandhi National Park. It is in the State of Maharashtra, India.
How you want your letter signed:  Gaurav Iswalkar

Blue-Black Flower Wasp

Dear Gaurav,
Though we have not had any luck locating any matching images from India, we are confident this is a Scarab Hunter Wasp or Flower Wasp from the family Scoliidae.  The family members are described on the North American site BugGuide as “Robust, hairy, medium-sized to large.”  Then we found matching images on the Nature, Cultural, and Travel Photography Blog with a focus on Pakistan, but alas, it is only identified to the family level.  The site states:  “The Flower Wasp here is commonly know as Blue-black Flower Wasp or Hairy Flower Wasp belong to family Scoliidae. It has a black hairy body, orange colored antennae and shiny blue wings. The adult wasp feeds upon nectar and thus helps in pollination. The larvae act as important bio-control agents, feeding upon beetle larvae in the ground.”

Thank you for the information as it was the closest and most accurate one till now … You are doing the great job and I would love to support you guys in any ways possible from my end.
Regards,
Gaurav Iswalkar

Location: Mumbai, Maharashtra, India