Subject:  Moth identification
Geographic location of the bug:  Orpheus Island, North Queensland
Time: 06:36 AM EDT
Your letter to the bugman:  Hi!
I encountered this moth hanging out on the wall at my work and I’m having a hard time figuring out what he is?!
How you want your letter signed:  KMcAuley

Hawkmoth: Daphnis placida

Dear KMcAuley,
This is a Sphinx Moth or Hawkmoth in the family Sphingidae, and they are very powerful fliers and they are also long lived, which does allow them to fly across large bodies of water. Thanks to images posted to Butterfly House, we are confident your individual is
Daphnis placida, a species with no common name.  According to Butterfly House:  “The adult moth has a complex pattern of light and dark brown on the wings, and a white bar across the first abdominal segment. The moth has a wingspan of about 6 cms.”  According to Sphingidae of the Eastern Palaearctic, the global distribution is:   “Nicobar and Andaman Islands (Kailash Chandra & Rajan, 2004), Thailand, southern China (Hainan Island), Philippines, Indonesia (Sumatra, Java, Bali, Flores, Timor), northern Australia, Vanuatu, New Caledonia and Loyalty Islands.”

Location: Orpheus Island, North Queensland, Australia