Subject:  Wasp?
Geographic location of the bug:  Lincoln Nebraska
Your letter to the bugman:  This buzzed by my sidters house today and I’ve never seen anything like it.  Is it dangerous? They have kids and pets to keep safe.
How you want your letter signed:  Concerned Sister

Spider Wasp

Dear Concerned Sister,
The time for your concern is long passed since it appears the Spider Wasp in this image was already dispatched with some type of spray that formed puddles around its body.  Spider Wasps are not aggressive, though the might sting if carelessly handled.  They are considered beneficial as they help to keep Spider populations in check.  Many insects accidentally enter the home, and the best way to remove them alive is to trap them in a glass, and then slip a postcard between the glass and the surface so the insect can be safely transported outside.  We believe the Spider Wasp in your image is
Tachypompilus ferrugineus based on this BugGuide image.  Here is an image of a Spider Wasp with its prey.  Because we feel this harmless Spider Wasp was dispatched unnecessarily, we are tagging this posting as Unnecessary Carnage.

Thanks for the reply. I’m glad to have the info. The insect was only a bit stunned by the water. Enough to be able to catch and release it. It flew off a few minutes later, according to my sister. But it sure gave her a fright and I couldn’t identify it as anything I’ve ever seen. I’ll pass the info along that she doesn’t need to be afraid if she see another.  She was watering plants and just sprayed it with the water bottle, took pic, and got it out of the house in a Tupperware. Again thanks for the info.
Thanks for that information.  We will post your addition and remove the Unnecessary Carnage tag.
Location: Lincoln, Nebraska