Subject:  What the bug ??
Geographic location of the bug:  Asia > Middle East > Jordan
Your letter to the bugman:  Hey,
I wonder what this bug is, any thoughts?
P.S : I just found this website, I like what you do hope the best for you guys.
How you want your letter signed:  Moh’d Hawa

Hornworm: Theretra alecto

Dear Moh’d,
Thanks for your kind words.  This is a Hornworm, the larva of a Hawkmoth in the family Sphingidae.  We searched Israel’s Nature Site where we believe we have correctly identified your Hornworm as
Theretra alecto.  We then verified that identification on Moths and Butterflies of Europe and North Africa where the life cycle is nicely documented.

Location: Jordan

2 Responses to Hornworm from Jordan

1. Bostjan Dvorak says:

Yes, this is a Theretra alecto larva, with its typical eyespots, much smaller than those in Hippotion celerio; it is already in pupation mood. This species is spread from Japan throughout Asian tropics (humid climate) to eastern Mediterranean area (dry climate), but does not penetrate further west and north into European region, interestingly, for whatever reasons. In contrary to H. celerio, it is rather monophagous on Vitis, and therefore mostly found in vineyard areas. The second amazing difference is its hibernating ability, as pupae of H. celerio can never overwinter, but develop continuously. The larva of T. alecto pupates (like in most Macroglossinae and also H. celerio) in a loose cocoon among leaf-litter, on the ground, not under earth.
    Thanks for sharing, and best summer wishes!
    Bostjan