Subject:  9” long insect in PA!
Geographic location of the bug:  Enola, Pennsylvania
Time: 05:56 AM EDT
Your letter to the bugman:  Hi – I found this large insect on my exterior house wall early evening, July 8th, 2018. It did not move at all, as I was taking the photo or when I placed the measuring tape next to it. We have 20 acres of woods around us, so our home is pretty shaded. Native? I have lived here 13 years and I have not seen this insect before. I sent the image to my neighbor and he said he saw the same insect, last week, also for the first time,  by his office in York, PA. His office is located in an industrial area. Thanks!
How you want your letter signed:  Anneli

Wrote wrong dimensions in question.
Hi – I submitted an insect ID question this morning, but being European I wrote 9” instead of about 9 cm! Sorry – Anneli

Male Dobsonfly

Dear Anneli,
Even at a more modest four inches in length, the male Dobsonfly startles many folks upon their first encounter, and even subsequent encounters trigger fear, but the male Dobsonfly is perfectly harmless.  His impressive mandibles cannot harm a human.  They are used during the mating ritual.  Semi-aquatic laval Dobsonflies, known as Hellgrammites, are used as bait by many fishermen.

Location: Enola, Pennsylvania