Subject:  Sphingidae?
Geographic location of the bug:  Northern Maine
Your letter to the bugman:  this dude got stuck in my window. I’ve been waiting all summer for some cool moths like this and I’d like to know what this one is specifically! Thanks in advance 🙂
Found July 2
How you want your letter signed:  Jade

Possibly Waved Sphinx

Dear Jade,
You are correct that this is a Sphinx Moth, and we believe it is a member of the genus
Ceratomia, and there are three species from the genus recognized on the Sphingidae of Maine page on Sphingidae of the Americas.  We believe this is a Waved Sphinx, Ceratomia undulosa, and we will attempt to verify that identification with Bill Oehlke.  According to Sphingidae of the Americas:  “The upperside of the forewing is pale brownish gray with wavy black and white lines and a black-outlined white cell spot. The upperside of the hindwing is gray with diffuse darker bands.  Some individuals are very dark, almost black, and others are light yellowish brown.”

Waved Sphinx, we believe

Location: Maine