Subject:  Great Golden Digger Wasps
Geographic location of the bug:  Andover Township, NJ
Your letter to the bugman:  Hi Daniel,
This is not a question, just a share.  Several days ago, the Great Golden Digger Wasps appeared along our walkway and immediately set about excavating their nest holes.  There was a fair amount of jockeying for position the first day and even a few little skirmishes, but eventually they all got to work.  Today, with nests apparently complete, the whole colony (about a dozen by my count) set out hunting.  Given the docile temperament of these big wasps, I was able to lay right next to several of the nest holes and observe the action up close.  I was interesting to see that one of them came in with what I believe is a Roesel’s Katydid, not a species I’ve counted in my yard before.
Hope you enjoy the photos.
How you want your letter signed:  Deborah

Great Golden Digger Wasp with prey

Dear Deborah,
As always, your images are stunning.  Through the years, you have demonstrated a fondness and appreciation of insects, and we really want to acknowledge that the colony of Great Golden Digger Wasps that nested in your yard is very lucky they chose your property for their home.  We shutter to think what a fearful individual might have done to these docile and beautiful wasps.  For that reason, we are tagging this posting with the Bug Humanitarian Award.  Based on images posted to BugGuide, we concur that the prey in one image appears to be an immature male Roesel’s Katydid.

Female Great Golden Digger Wasp with immature male Roesel’s Katydid prey

Thank you!  I feel very honored!  Discovering the world of insects has been such a wonderful journey for me, and you have helped me so much along the way.

Location: Andover, New Jersey