Subject:  Bug with eyelash type antenae?
Geographic location of the bug:  Portland, Oregon, USA
Your letter to the bugman:  I’m very curious what this bug is as I have never seen one before and have lived here my whole life. It was on the outside wall of my house. It was small, maybe about a centimeter long, found in early June here in Portland, Oregon.
How you want your letter signed:  S. Wilson

Male Firefly

Dear S. Wilson,
This is a male Firefly and we believe we have correctly identified it as
Pterotus obscuripennis based on this BugGuide image.  According to BugGuide: “comes to lights in spring/early summer.”  Folks from the eastern and midwest parts of the country often miss Firefly displays when they move to the west coast, but they don’t realize there are many species of Fireflies there, though few have bioluminescent capabilities, and when they do, they rarely appear in the spectacular displays witnessed in other parts of the country.  Our editorial staff is currently enjoying glowing Fireflies, or Lightning Bugs as we always called them, in Ohio.

Location: Portland, Oregon