Subject:  Black bugs with white spots on pepper plants
Geographic location of the bug:  Reading, PA
Your letter to the bugman:  I am finding these bugs all over my tomato and pepper plants. They are also all over the front of my house. I can’t seem to find them online. Could you identify them
How you want your letter signed:  Ron Zeiber

Spotted Lanternfly Nymphs

Dear Ron,
The moment we read your subject line, we surmised you are being troubled by immature Spotted Lanternflies,
Lycorma delicatula, and your image proved us correct.  The Spotted Lanternfly is an Invasive Exotic species first reported in North America in 2014.  According to BugGuide:  “Native to China, India, Japan and Vietnam; invasive in Korea and in our area(1). Currently (2018) known from 6 counties in PA; also found in DE, NY, VA.”  According to the Government of Canada website:  “The spotted lanternfly (Lycorma delicatula, Hemiptera: Fulgoridae) is an impressive and colourful insect native to Asia, and has been recognised as a potential threat to the grape, fruit tree and forestry industries in Canada. It was first detected in North America in Pennsylvania in September 2014. As it is not known to exist in Canada, spotted lanternfly was added to the regulated pest list in 2018 in an effort to prevent the introduction from infested areas. Early detection activities would make managing the pest easier due to the discovery of this insect in the United States and the volume of articles potentially carrying the insect arriving from Asia. It can be distinguished from all other native and naturalized insects (such as planthoppers, moths) in Canada by its unique colouration. “

Location: Reading, Pennsylvania

14 Responses to Spotted Lanternfly Nymphs in Pennsylvania

1. Colin Murphy says:

I just found these lantern fly nymphs on my roses, Norristown, Pennsylvania.

2. Elena says:

I also have lantern nymphs infestation in my yard, What can I do to get rid of them. I know there bad news.

3. DAWN G. KAVANAUGH says:

I found these on my raspberry bush. Hundreds of them. How do you kill them

4. Mina says:

I have a home in Philadelphia and Wyncote,PA. I have spotted them in both locations. How do we get rid of them?

5. Stacey says:

I spend a lot of time on the waterfront trail in South Philadelphia, and see these all over this summer, and had never seen them before. Nice to finally know what they are.

6. Mary Anne Spigonardo says:

How do you kill them????

7. Billie-Jean Caperelli says:

Just spotted a few hundred on my vine in Doylestown Pennsylvania. I will be doing some research today on how to rid my hops as naturally as possible from these pests. However, do I recall that you are not supposed to kill them?

While we do not provide extermination advice, we do support the control of invasive species like the Spotted Lanternfly.

8. Alicia Wendel says:

Just spotted these pests in my veggie garden in Millersville (Lancaster county), PA

9. Billie-Jean Caperelli says:

Sorry to hear that Alice. To follow up on my situation: I treated my hop vines with Dawn Dish soap solution. Although the majority of the numbers were terminated, my vins turned brown and shriveled up. Now I am cutting down the Hoppes section by section and squeezing any remaining nymphs as I go. I would rather lose this crop of hops than these things turn into adults and fly away to kill trees. Best luck to all.

10. Smiley says:

Hi, I also have them in Norristown, Pa. thank you for identifying them bugman. Maybe to try some google advice on spotted lantern nymphs. Neem oil, vinegar?

11. Dianna A Cole says:

I have them in my garden. I didnt know what they were until i looked it up. I live in Camden Nj